Saturday, January 06, 2007

Bonny's Kitchen

Went to work feeling lethargic from all the medication that i took and post New Year blues so wasn't really in a productive mood. Fortunately, was only working for 3 days in the week. Ahhhh...skipped gym for 3 days to let my flu recover and reverted to becoming a couch potato.

On the Friday, went out for lunch with colleagues and my boss at a nice little Hongkie restaurant in Plaza Damas by the name of Bonny's Kitchen. http://where-to-go.net/CatService.aspx?CatID=697&INV_PROD_CATEGORYDir=Asc&CATEGORY=485&NewGrid1Dir=Asc We ordered a fish which we thought was called patin but the owner corrected us that the fish is called "Pak Tim" (literally translated as white spot) which he pointed out in the aquarium. I looked at the fish and noticed that the fish indeed has a white spot right in the middle of it's body! There was a special dish which looked like scrambled egg-whites mixed with vinegar and a raw egg yolk. Ummm....Delicious. The steamed fish was really tasty and we could tell that the fish was really fresh and the soya sauce used is of a good grade. The kampung chicken came in 2 styles, one was steamed and the other fried. As it was kampung chicken, the meat was leaner and springier than the normal chickens that we eat. The steamed pork with salted fish was tasty as well and goes well with the rice. The tofu cooked with salted egg was a tad salty according to my colleague. The vegetables, bean sprouts with "kau-choy" (9 vege), kai lan, 4 types vege were all nicely cooked and not overdone.

Dessert was thin-layered jelly folded into strips like chee cheong fun and sprinkled with sesame on top and accompanied by peanut sauce. Very original and tasted like the agar-agar with more bite and sesame flavoured of course. The owners were originally from Hong Kong and this place reminds me somewhat of another Hongkie restaurant over in Uptown, Restaurant Tasty Tasty, which was also ran by Hongkies. I remembered eating the scrambled egg-white dish over there previously.

By the time we reached back the office, it was almost a couple of hours towards closing time. The 2 poor candidates were waiting since 2 pm for their interview and greeted us upon our arrival at the office entrance. Hehehehe....

I went for BC since i had promised my gym buddies to meet up for yum cha after the class. It was fun with almost everyone of the gang turning up in full force since our last gathering. We were still doing the new release and i'm almost familiar with the chory now since doing for at least 3 times already. During track 4, i didn't realise SGP was standing behind me and he gave me a push when we were doing the jump-kick forwards. It took me by surprise and i sprained my toe in an attempt to regain my balance! My foot was pushed against my shoe as i lunged forward and now my toe has became blue black!! I didn't realise the extent of the injury then but felt a prick of pain. Nevertheless, i followed through the class, albeit in more subdued moves and turned back to glare at him.

After the class, we went to the the nearby shop and had the hokkien mee and cantonese fried yin-yong. It was supposedly the best in damansara but i reckon the stall near my house was better. Anyways, i didn't eat much of it as the phobia of my food poisoning the last time i had hokkien mee still lingered. Thereafter, we adjourned to Mosin mamak to have a drink and a chat. Saw the table next to me who ordered a pizza-like naan, which i was told was called the Naan Mumtaj, apparently the place speciality. Hmmm, shall try that the next time.

No comments: